It is that time of the year again, when you have to file your taxes. For those who want to avoid the hassles of going to an agent, or standing in a long queue, here is a super tip. It takes a maximum of 30 minutes to file your IT returns using this method.
- Open the site https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Register for user (give the user id as your PAN number)
- You will receive the registration mail
- Login to the site with the credentials provided in the mail
- Go to downloads menu. Download ITR1 for person paid salary.(You have different form for each category)
- Fill out all the details in the ITR form
- Validate each page General1, General2, TDS (fill either 21 or 23)
- Click on Generate XML
- Check the summary and click on ‘Save XML’
- Click ‘Submit return’ in the home page
- Select the file and click on Upload. (Do not select the check box here... as it requires the Java runtime updated...)
- you will see a message that it is successfully submitted.. if not error then go to (step 11)
- Go to my profile menu -> My Returns
- Select ‘2009-2010’ and click ‘Submit’
- Click on the link ‘Click here’ to get the submitted ITR form ... or they would have already sent the copy to you.
Note: If the person doesn’t have digital signature, then after submitting returns he/she gets ITR V. This has to be submitted to the nearest income tax office within 15 days of filing tax returns.
If the person has digital signature, then he/she gets online acknowledgement, and nothing more has to be done for filing.
In the online world, I say it is time now to stop encouraging consultants or brokers. Enjoy filing online and save Rs 200/- or more, that you pay to tax consultants.